Statham, Georgia and the surrounding communities are filled with Southern Charm!
Founded in 1892 by a native of England, and being conveniently located between Atlanta and Athens, Statham provides a tradition of small-town Southern charm filled with warm hospitality that’s hard to find in crowded big cities. We are centrally located in Barrow County where Highway 316 gives convenient access to all major highways.
Here is more on Statham’s History as written on the City of Statham’s website
Statham’s historic district was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1998. Maps are available at City Hall.
Statham was first known as the Talasee Colony. In this Colony was an Indian Village by the name of Calamit on the Ocoloco Trail, and it was inhabited by the Creek and Cherokee Indians. When the first white settlers came in 1784, they purchased a part of Calamit from the Indian Chief Umausauga for 14 pounds of beads and named it Beadland.
Statham grew from a combination country store and post office owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. M. J. C. Statham. The post office was first known as Barber’s Creek, then DeLay, and changed to Statham in 1892.
The building of the railroad through Statham in 1890 and 1891 marked the beginning of Statham and was the changeover point from a place with a few homes into the creation of a town.
Statham was incorporated on December 20, 1892 and received its first Charter. The incorporated area of the town extends one mile in every direction from the Seaboard Depot which is in the center of town. The first depot was built around 1900. Another depot, which is still standing, was built in 1912.
The first bank in Statham, known as the Statham Bank, was organized in April 1904. To promote and advertise their town, the directors printed interesting facts on the back of the bank envelopes. “Statham is a growing and prosperous town on the Seaboard Air Line Railroad. It has ten mercantile establishments, a hardware and furniture store, drug store, meat market, prosperous bank, excellent hotel, fine dental parlor, two large suction cotton ginneries, cotton warehouse, brick-making plant, livery stables, blacksmith shops, barber shops, three churches and a free public school system.”
Due to the coming of the automobile, better roads and the depression of the 1930’s, many of the business establishments closed as people began going to larger towns for shopping.
Today Statham is a thriving and growing community of approximately 2,200 citizens. Lifelong residents are being joined by many new families moving into the area. To learn more please visit https://www.cityofstatham.com/History.aspx
Mulberry Grove Senior Living in Statham RESPECTS and CARES for our community’s Veterans. Ask us about our Veterans Credit Program for those who served our Country in the military and for their spouses. Contact our Administrator Jessica McClure to learn more about this program at 770-725-6978 or LikeHome@MulberryGroveGA.com